Pain in Penis
Our body consists of some very delicate parts that are responsible for some of the most important function within our body. Penis which basically serves as the primary male excretory and reproductive organ is very fragile and a lot can go wrong with little negligence.
Penis pain is the pain that men don’t typically think about until it occurs. Whenever a man feel pain in his penis, he immediately wants to get rid of it depending upon how severe the pain is and what actually is causing it.
Sometimes the cause of penile pain is clear such as pain due to trauma or injury in sport or assault. But sometimes it is not clear and in all such cases, we need complete evaluation to understand the root cause of pain.
What are the symptoms of penis pain?
If you are experiencing penile pain then the most important thing to do is to analyze the area from where it is originating. The symptoms of penile pain depend upon its location. For e.g.
- Whether it is internal or along any part of penis that is linked with abdominal wall.
- Externally along the tip of penis.
- In the head of penis i.e. glans
- In the tube that transport semen and urine (urethra)
The penis pain symptoms may start gradually and aggravate over time or may begin suddenly as sharp shooting pain. Penis pain may appear dull or sharp, stable or irregular. At times pain is severe and may interrupt your daily activities like sexual intercourse, passage of urine, walking, exercising etc.
If you experience pain with any of the following symptoms or danger signs, consult your doctor on emergent basis
- You feel weird sounds like cracking during sexual intercourse.
- You find it really difficult to urinate, having burning sensation or frequent urination.
- Inability to perform sexual intercourse.
- History of serious injury or trauma to the penis, groin area or to your testicles.
- Swelling of penis.
- Discharge from urethra.
- Pain in the prostate region.
- Bloody discharge with semen.
- Any discoloration, marks or bruises on penis.
- Itching in the penis.
- Sores and bumps on penis.
What are the causes of penile pain?
Some primary causes of gnawing penile pain are as follows.
- Pain occur due to injury to delicate penile tissues
- Pain due to UTI i.e. urinary tract infection.
- Infection on the inner side of foreskin i.e. Balanitis.
- An STD (sexually transmitted disease) also causes pain like Chlamydia, gonorrhea, genital herpes etc.
- An allergy that causes swelling and pain in penis.
- Pain due to long term erection i.e. Priapism
- Bladder stones.
- Peyronie’s disease (a condition in which scar tissue develops on the penis shaft).
- Anogenital warts. The lumps appear on penis due to an infection with HPV.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Cancer of penis or prostate gland.
- Sometimes fracture of penis also occur during any sports or exercise.
- Infection or swelling of prostate gland.
- Sickle cell anemia.
- If the foreskin become too much inflamed and tight.
- Arthritis of urethra.
When to see a doctor?
Pain in penis is a serious issue that needs prompt medical treatment. Sometime the pain occurs due to a serious underlying medical condition. If the symptoms remain undetected and untreated, then the risk of developing serious complications increases significantly.