Natural Foods To Keep Prostate Healthy
As a crucial part of the male reproductive system, prostate health is the key to having a proper sexual function. The prostate continues to grow with age, and there is a risk of the gland becoming enlarged. Eating a balanced diet can help keep prostate healthy. A diet comprising fruits and vegetables can contribute to maintaining prostate health.
8 Natural Foods to Keep Prostate Healthy
- High in vitamin C and antioxidants, berries prevent damage to the body from free radicals that otherwise attack healthy cells and raise the risk of cancer. Vitamin C can ease symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia and reduce swelling. Spinach, citrus fruits, mangoes, spinach, broccoli, and cantaloupe are other sources of vitamin C.
- Pomegranate is one such natural foods for prostate health that comprises compounds that inhibit the formation of carcinogens. Not only this, these restrict the production of growth hormones. Research shows that pomegranate reduce PSA production and levels.
- Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, contain sulfur-rich compounds, which are potent anti-cancer agents. Research reveals that men whose diet focuses on cruciferous vegetables are at a 40% reduced risk of prostate cancer.
- A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids can boost prostate health. Fatty Fish and trout and herring contain fatty acids that lower the risk of prostate cancer, inhibiting tumor growth.
- Plant protein sourced from hemp seeds, chia seeds, and beans pack a nutritional punch. Rich in essential amino acids, fiber, and protein, these may help promote prostate health.
- Besides helping lower cholesterol and improving memory, green tea can help protect against prostate cancer. Studies show that men who drink green tea regularly have lower risk of tissue inflammation associated with cancer. Green tea comprises polyphenols modify inflammation in the prostate gland and protect against cell damage.
- Soy products contain isoflavones that can lower the amount of male hormone dihydrotestosterone that stimulates the growth and development of prostate tissue. Soy may also slow tumor growth and prevent prostate enlargement.
- Among natural foods for prostate health, watermelon is rich in lycopene that gives it color. Besides, lycopene may reduce the risk of prostate cancer in males. Lycopene is also found in guava, apricots, papaya, pink grapefruit, and tomatoes.
All in all, vegetarians have a low prostate cancer risk. The foods that raise the risk of prostate cancer include processed meat, dairy products, and alcohol. A study conducted by the National Cancer Institute reveals that 19 research studies show a positive connection between dairy products and prostate cancer.