How to Avoid Premature Ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation is an ejaculation that occurs soon after the commencement of sexual activity. It occurs too soon for either of the partners to enjoy the act. According to doctors, if an intercourse lasts for less than two minutes, it can be considered as a case of premature ejaculation.
Premature ejaculation has been classified into two types:
- Lifelong Premature Ejaculation: This starts earlier in life, is often related to psychological causes and is harder to treat.
- Acquired Premature Ejaculation: It occurs later in life, and can be attributed to psychological stress, being in a new relationship or due to medical reasons like diabetes and hypertension.
Ways to Avoid Premature Ejaculation
There are several methods which can be used to avoid premature ejaculation. What works for one person may not be so successful in the other case. So it is advised to take your partner into confidence and be patient. Let us discuss some of the common ways employed to avoid premature ejaculation.
- Masturbation: It is believed that masturbating prior to getting intimate with your partner helps in delaying ejaculation.
- Using Thicker Condoms: The use of thicker condoms helps in reducing the sensitivity of the penis and helps in avoiding premature ejaculation.
- Behavioral Techniques: There are several behavioral techniques which help in delaying ejaculation. These include:
- Taking deep breath before ejaculation may help in delaying it.
- Thinking about something else just before ejaculation helps in delaying it. But it may lead to loss of erection and can be frustrating for the partner.
- Using the start-stop technique: This involves taking out the penis just before you are about to ejaculate. This will stop the penis from getting stimulated. Hold it for 30 to 60 seconds before introducing it again. Repeat the procedure 4-5 times till you are able to identify your point of no return. Practicing this technique with your partner for several months will help in preventing premature ejaculation.
- Squeeze technique: Just when you are about to ejaculate, squeeze your penis between the shaft and the glans. This will delay ejaculation. However, this may also interfere with the erection.
- Prolonging Foreplay: Prolonging the foreplay helps in two ways- it increases your partner’s passion and secondly, it helps in reducing any performance related anxiety that the man may be suffering from. It removes the pressure to perform and may even delay premature ejaculation.
- Communication With the Partner: Better communication with the partner helps in reducing the gap between the expectations of the couples and helps in avoiding premature ejaculation
- Using Medicated Condoms: Condoms that contain benzocaine at their tips reduce the sensitivity of the penis and is a good way of preventing premature ejaculation.
- Use of Medication: There are certain medicines that are believed to delay premature ejaculation. One such medicine is Promescent which has been approved by the FDA for this purpose. It is meant for topical application on the penis 10 minutes before engaging in sexual activity. It prevents premature ejaculation by reducing the sensitivity of the penis. As it is absorbed by the skin, it does affect the sensations of the partner. Antidepressants belonging to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Prozac and Zoloft, when taken several hours before the sexual act are also helpful in certain cases.
- Kegel Exercises: Many people think that Kegel exercises are meant only for women. However, this is not true. Kegel exercises help in strengthening the pubococcygeus muscle. Clenching and releasing this muscle just before ejaculation helps in delaying it.
“How To Prevent Premature Ejaculation,” by S. Winckler. Published on the site dred.com, accessed on June 25, 2015. Retrieved from: