Aphrodisiac Foods List
The word ‘aphrodisiac’ is derived from Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty. Aphrodisiacs are foods, drinks, or substances that are known to promote sexual desire. Most of the aphrodisiacs work by reducing stress, increasing blood flow, and positively influencing the neurotransmitters. Aphrodisiacs are considered powerful enough to enhance the strength of male arousal and female sexual desire. There are numerous foods that are known for their aphrodisiacal properties.
List of Aphrodisiac Foods
Consuming aphrodisiac foods can enhance your sexual desire and boost your moods. Some of the foods that are known for their aphrodisiacal properties are listed below:
Pomegranate: Pomegranates are often associated with fertility owing to the presence of numerous seeds. Drinking pomegranate juice can lower the levels of cortisol which can increase testosterone in both men and women. Increased levels of testosterone can trigger increased sexual desire and boost your mood. Pomegranates are also rich in antioxidants which are known to protect the lining of blood vessels, thereby allowing more blood to pass through them. This can lead to enhanced genital sensitivity.
- Asparagus and avocado: Both asparagus and avocados are rich sources of vitamin E which is associated with increased production of testosterone, progesterone, and estrogen. Asparagus is a good source of thiamin and folic acid, which can boost the production of histamine which in turn alleviates a person’s capability of reaching orgasm.
- Bananas: Bananas are rich in magnesium, potassium, and vitamin B. They also contain chelating minerals and the enzyme bromelain, which is known to boost the male libido.
- Hot chilies: Chilies are rich in the chemical ‘capsaicin,’ which increases blood circulation and also stimulates the nerve endings. Chilies are known to promote the release of endorphins, which have pleasure inducing properties.
- Beets: Beets and their juices have long been known to promote amorous feelings. Beets are excellent sources of betaine and tryptophan. Both of these chemicals promote a feeling of euphoria and well-being. Beets also contain high levels of boron, a mineral that boosts the levels of sex hormones in our body.
- Coffee: Coffee is rich in caffeine, which boosts our heart rate and increases the flow of blood. It contains alkaloids which improve sexual performance and stamina.
- Celery: Celery contains a pheromone known as androsterone which is secreted by male sweat glands for attracting females.
- Strawberries: Strawberries have been associated with love, sensuality, and sex for years altogether. Strawberries are rich sources of vitamin C, zinc, and potassium and are known to boost the sex drive. If you want to stimulate your senses and boost your libido, try eating a ripe strawberry or a chocolate-coated strawberry.
- Oysters: Oysters are one of the most well-known aphrodisiacs. Oysters are rich in two very rare amino acids – N-methyl-D-aspartate and D-aspartic acid, which can boost the secretion of testosterone in men and progesterone in females.
- Honey: Honey is a rich source of the mineral boron, which helps in the secretion of estrogen. Boron also enhances the levels of testosterone in blood, thereby promoting orgasm and sex drive in both men as well as women.
• “Aphrodisiac Foods: Bringing Heaven to Earth” by Miriam Hospodar. Published in Volume 4, No. 4, 2004 edition of Gastronomica, accessed on 7 August 2015. Retrieved from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525/gfc.2004.4.4.82